Wednesday 11 September 2013

Wednesday Weigh-In - 11 September

One week into this daddy day care gig and I think it is time to take stock of how things are going. Heading into my additional paternity leave there was several things that caused me concern which could have had a negative impact upon the diet. Firstly, losing my regular access to a gym. Secondly, losing a daily routine. Thirdly, boredom leading to the fridge.

On all three counts I have to say so far so good. I do miss the buzz of hitting the treadmill in my lunch break but I can't really say that I've been lacking in exercise. Like a geek I measured out the route to my son's school using the RunKeeper app, and it told me that it is 1.04km. Multiply that by 4 for two return journeys per day and multiply the sum by 5, and that means in a typical school week I will now be covering 21km on foot. With a pushchair no less. It is a different sort of workout to what I'd get through 20-25 minutes three times a week at the gym, but certainly not to be sniffed at. Throw in my regular 5k doing the Saturday morning parkrun, and an additional run I managed on Sunday to help with my 10k training, and you could easily argue I'm more active now than when in work.

Going from a regular routine of breakfast-work-gym/lunch-work-home to a blank page could have been challenging. As it has turned out, the lack of routine has just meant creating a new one. Getting both boys ready for the trip to school. Identifying windows to give baby his meals and tend to his medical needs. Picking up after school and getting the boys fed and ready for bed.

With all of that there has been little time for boredom. A spot of gardening, doing laundry and a bit of hoovering help pass the time during days when I've not organised anything else. I've had coffee mornings with a former housemate and former colleague. Pottering to the local shop and library. The only day where I've noticeably consumed more than usual was on Saturday when as usual I was famished after doing the 5k and plundered the Walkers multibag.

So with my initial fears allayed, how are things going on the diet front? Well, with boredom alleviated, and gym trips subbed for schoolrun on foot, I certainly wasn't expecting to gain weight over the last 7 days. The scales for the last two Wednesday mornings have told me I am 15st 10lbs. This morning they told me this.

So very close
The weightloss continues. I'm so close to my target of 15st 7lbs I can almost taste it. 40lbs down, 1lb to go. Another good week and hopefully I'm hitting that mark. So much of my motivation for losing weight this year has revolved around my boys. It would be a nice way to reach my goal with a little helping hand from the daily school walks with them both.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment