Tuesday 16 April 2013

Walking with intent


I will be spending my Saturday morning exercising for more than just the sake of burning a few calories. Read on to find out more

On Saturday 20 April I will be joining the merry band of Slough Town Football Club supporters as we embark on our end of season charity walk. By tradition we use the last away game of the season to raise money for worthy causes, and this year we will be supporting a cause very close to my heart.

Last Autumn my family’s world was turned upside down when we were told at our 20 week scan that there were complications with our pregnancy. A diagnosis of Spina Bifida was made and we were encouraged by doctors to consider our options. Fortunately, we found out very quickly about the Shine charity, who offer support to families like mine in providing information about Spina Bifida and the related condition Hydrocephalus. Through talking to Shine, finding out more about Spina Bifida and how children and adults live with the condition, we reached the decision to continue with the pregnancy. Jacob was born in February and every day since we have been thankful that we listened to Shine because when I look at my son and see such a happy little boy, it is unpalatable to think that on the strength of a diagnosis we knew very little about, we could have looked at other ‘options’.

Options? What options!

The walk this year a relatively simple route from Slough to North Greenford Utd. A leisurely 15 mile stroll to watch a non-league football match and raise some money for a fantastic cause. If you are able to offer an sponsorship, my family and I will be extremely grateful.

I can be contacted by email should you wish to get in touch, donate or wish me well. You can find out more about the Shine Charity by going to www.shinecharity.org.uk 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment