Monday 20 January 2014

Twiddling my thumbs isn't much fun

It has been a frustrating few days. Having felt rough most of Thursday I thought I was on the mend on Friday and hopeful of getting a long run in over the weekend. Instead, I woke Saturday morning barely able to get out of bed. I'd already agreed not to do parkrun because of my wife's work commitment, but even if I had been able to go there was no chance I'd have made it. Thankfully the boys obliged in letting me have a quiet day.

By Sunday I was feeling a touch more human and looked through the window at the winter sunshine longingly. Despite not being at my best I weighed up the choice to run or not. When I reached a decision to give it a go, I quickly realised my limitations. Walking up the stairs to grab my running gear resulted in a coughing fit so violent that I would not have been surprised to find a piece of lung in my hand afterwards. Wisely, I stayed put.

Today I've been to work and felt ten times better than at any point over the weekend. I wanted to run, and probably could have managed a short distance, but in doing so the likelihood is I would have set myself back further. With 2 months to go until the half marathon, as much as I want to get out there building up stamina, I can't afford a week in bed through forcing my body into oblivion.

A restful night this evening and all being well I'll resume training tomorrow. Twiddling my thumbs isn't much fun, but the bigger picture requires me fighting fit.






Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment