Tuesday 21 May 2013

Breaking the mould


I'm a creature of habit. Maybe there is a touch of OCD about me but when things become routine, I can stick to them religiously. Example - I've been going to the same barbershop for the last 17 years, even though for most of that time I've been living out of that area. Call it familiarity. Call it comforting. For whatever reason I keep going back and have been loathe to cut my hair in other establishments. But you're not reading this blog to hear about my short back and sides. So let me get to the point.

When it comes to exercise, I find myself getting into bad habits very easily. I know for successful weightloss I need to balance reducing calories with increased physical activity. I've been there. I've done that. I didn't got from 24st down to 14 1/2st simply twiddling on my thumbs. Going to the gym was an integral part of that success and when I climbed back on board the diet wagon at the start of this year I had every intention of reintegrating physical exercise into my daily routine.

Only I didn't. I have a gym on site at work which even with two small children makes it easily accessible. Worse still, since last October I've had a 1 year membership that was completely free of charge, ironically won at a 'Well Being' event. I've used that gym before, spent several years as a member and know it inside and out. And yet that membership card has sat idle in my wallet ever since.

Until today.

Today I'm breaking the mould. A short session in my lunch break on a treadmill got me under way. I actually went to a hotel gym while I was at a conference last week and it reminded me that I quite enjoy getting hot and sweaty, though the wheezing and instant reminder about low levels of fitness weren't quite so welcome.

The Tesco approach to exercise - Every Little Helps
A one-off trip to the gym is not going to do very much for me. My efforts last Thursday morning were somewhat wasted when followed up by a three course meal and a boozy evening. To make this work, I have got to convert a bad habit into good and make this a regular gig. If I'm not posting regularly about my gym activity, please hold me to account

No comments:

Post a Comment