Saturday 11 May 2013

The Friday Fat Fright

I've been a bit quiet of late of the diet front, mostly because I've been disgusted at myself for letting things slide in the last few weeks. However, while I don't have anything positive to say, here is a guest article written by my sister, which should provide inspiration both to me and to mums who are looking to lose a few lbs. Enjoy.


The Friday Fat Fright

Five weeks ago I posted the following on Facebook:

Inspired by my bro's 'Wednesday Weigh-in' (see his blog www.yearofthediet.com) and his signature 'feet on scales' photo, I have just instituted the 'Friday Fat Fright' only I can't post the evidence until a) I've lost weight and b) I've had a pedicure.

I was initially being my usual facetious self but my brain was whirring round that just maybe the sheer terror of having to publicly reveal my weight might spur me into action! And I had actually weighed in and taken a Graham-style feet on scales photo which instead of sharing immediately as my ‘baseline’ I made the wallpaper on my Blackberry and laptop as a constant reminder of the need for action.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t imagine I have any real kind of weight problem but over the last couple of years my weight has crept up to a stone over what I consider my realistic, lets-face-it-I’m-40-and-I’ve-had-three-kids-and-I-do-actually-like-to-eat-and-drink ideal weight.

The weight gain followed, ironically, a delicious period of being back down to my pre-children-world-was-my-oyster weight of my late teens and early twenties. This was a bit to do with finding I actually liked to run when I was 37 and a lot to do with the stress of the build-up to a very painful period in my life.

A three-year run of immense personal upheaval – including finally facing my demons and seeking help for the anxiety and depression that had long since crippled me at least on the inside – alongside being extremely happy in my new life combined to make me pile the weight back on and quite a bit more for good luck. Comfort eating, more alcohol than normal, the effects of medication and lack of exercise make for a vicious circle when you’re trying to make that break-through from the ‘dark side’. Enjoying having meals cooked for me for the first time since I lived at home, as well as romantic meals out and cosy boozy nights in was, whilst to die-for, also not conducive to getting back in shape.

So, now is the time and in the 5 weeks since my Facebook post I have lost exactly half a stone and am running my first race since 2011 tomorrow. Healthy eating (lots to eat but the right things with treats thrown in), less alcohol and 3 or 4 runs a week seem to be working for me. I’m hoping I can keep going until I shed another half stone which I could just manage in time for a no-doubt-gut-busting trip to the US in July! Finishing the 10k tomorrow without stopping is the goal rather than chasing a PB but it feels great to have come this far. Watch out Woodley here comes Thunder Thighs and her Muffin Top! !

Before 05/04/13
Now. Result!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment