Wednesday 2 April 2014

Wednesday Weigh-In - 2 April

It was never going to be a pretty sight. My first outing on the bathroom scales in several weeks, during which time I've done my level best to undo my good work of recent months. Prior to the half marathon, I was going into eat mode. Since finishing the race, I've done nothing else. I've felt my waistline expand, my manboobs fill like water balloons and my clothes get tighter.

Nobody does letting themselves go quite like me. I'm not sure I can even call it snacking as my hand has spent more time going near my mouth than my teething child. Chocolate, crisps, the lure of cheap Lidl biscuits. I'm guilty of all charges. I think the low point came Sunday night when after eating a pretty big roast dinner, I decided to eat a tub of Ben and Jerry's. That wasn't comfort eating. That was plain pigging out and I deservedly felt rotten for it.

What has been the cause of this complete loss of discipline? Well, it started with the intention of carbing up before the big run, and never really stopped. Throw in some very long nights with the little one, a dose of feeling sorry for myself for hurting my knee, and the psychological release of not having an awards ceremony or race to be in shape for, and I've reverted to some of my worst eating habits from the bad old days.

The net damage actually isn't too bad. I thought it may be worse, but guess I've bought myself a bit of breathing space from all that training in recent months. The scales this morning told me I've gained just over half a stone since the last weigh in. Personally I expected to be nearer 15st.

Forgive the poor quality pic - that reads 14st 6lbs
Things possibly will get worse before they improve. While I'm giving myself shock treatment through publicising this, meaningful exercise is still off the agenda until I'm prepared to give the knee a run out. There are too many things coming up in the next couple of weeks that require me to be mobile before I'm prepared to do that, so I'm left with willpower alone to get things back on track. Right now I don't have too much of that.

I'm hopeful that some quality time spent with the family during the Easter holidays will help to recharge the batteries. For what feels like forever I've been desperately tired and this has been reflected in my tetchyness and intolerance levels being off the chart. Being away from work will help and if Jr wants to get germ free and back into something resembling a sleeping pattern, I could be a new person within days. Until then, it is more a question of bracing for the storm rather than clearing up the damage.

I'll get back onto things in due course. I just hope that it will be sooner rather than later.

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. Well done on making the first steps by putting it out there!

    AliceMegan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep depravation is the worst, always sends my eating out of control. You have my sympathies! But you will feel better and have more energy if you eat better, easier said than done right enough :-) hope the knee mends soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be too hard on yourself - at least you are aware of your bad habits and you have weighed in to access the damage. I'm sure once you catch up on some much needed sleep you will be in the right frame of mind to tackle any issues. #wobbleswednesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok you've put it out there, now don't give up........I need you!!! Lol
    In all seriousness, you know the problem, you know how to fix it, now you just need to get your head to agree. This arse kicking is brought to you by someone who knows (btw, I managed to lose half a pound this week, just had no time to write a post)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on facing those scales. Sleep deprivation is awful and guaranteed to bring on the munchies, just because... Your titles when you link up always make me smile btw :)

    ReplyDelete