Sunday 4 January 2015

What motivates a man to diet

Three days into the diet, and I've forgotten just how tiring it can be when your body has an endless supply of fuel cut off. I've moved beyond the stomach burn sensation and instead found myself lethargic. It has been tempting to reach for some sugary badness, but I've resisted so far. I'm writing this at 2.30 and dinner time seems a long way off.

As things stand, I don't have a specific target to work towards in 2015. I'm not booked in for any long runs, though I'm quite tempted by the idea of the North London Half. A course that runs right through Wembley Stadium certainly appeals, but it comes around a little too soon for me to get into any sort of shape. Having done the Royal Parks Half back in October without a great deal of training, I'm reluctant to make the same mistake again.

I guess my main motivation remains as it was when this blog started out a couple of years ago. I wanted to be fit and healthy for the sake of my boys, and that hasn't really changed. I'm not going to be much use to them if I continue with the gorging I've done in recent months. There are too many reminders in my life right now which demonstrate the fragility of our existence, and it would be a waste of my time on Earth if I continue to eat myself to an early grave.

Later this week, I plan to attend the funeral of a guy who I've been going to football matches with for over a decade, He passed before Christmas at the tender age of 34. I wrote this tribute which was published in the Slough Town programme for the match against Burnham that was due to be played yesterday but was called off due to a waterlogged pitch. I've been to more than my fair share of funerals over the years, but rarely have I had to go one for one of my peers. It certainly puts things into perspective and makes me realise how lucky I am to be alive and have a family of my own.

This month marks the 25th anniversary of my father's death. As someone who lost their dad as a child, I owe it to my boys to ensure they have a daddy who is fit, healthy and around for the long term. And so gaining control of my eating, cutting down on drinking and returning to fitness is my immediate priority. As such, there will be plenty more photos like this appearing in the coming months to chart my progress.

I was too big for my running vests and shirts - I won't be forever


No comments:

Post a Comment