Saturday 3 January 2015

I'm a believer

Yesterday marked the first phase of my diet. Stop eating junk, restricting myself to a regular three meals per day. Today I got phase 2 under way, namely dragging my sorry self kicking and screaming into exercise. Since completing the Royal Parks Half Marathon back in October, I've only been out for a run once. The overeating I described yesterday has inevitably impacted on my fitness levels and it was fair to say I was not expecting much from myself.

During the second half of 2013, I was a regular at the Black Park parkrun. Last year, it fell from my weekend routine and I think that contributed to my malaise. With that in mind I treated myself to an annual parking permit yesterday so that I've no excuses not to get myself out of the house on a Saturday morning.

When I was woken this morning, there was quite a downpour going on outside. With both boys sleeping uncharacteristically beyond 7.30, I could have been forgiven for keeping snug in my bed. However, I knew that going for a run this morning was important, perhaps more so for my psychology than my physicality. Rain or no rain, I was doing this.

After driving through the puddles of South Bucks and parking up, I did have to question my sanity at being there.


Fortunately I had an old friend to point out the obvious.


Meanwhile others were more supportive


I couldn't agree more with the last point. It did make a difference. The sense of achievement from making it round the course is palpable. My body and mind felt lifted, and though a couple of hours later I'm feeling somewhat weary, doing this today has set me on a good course for the coming weeks.


My time was not important today. I barely dipped inside 30 minutes and was my second slowest finish over the distance. But I didn't care. Today was about waking my body from it's slumber and surviving. The time will improve as my waistline contracts and my fitness levels recover. I'm not convinced I'll be getting back to sub-24 minutes 5Ks any time soon, but that isn't my motivation right now. You have to learn to crawl before you run after all.

What I have now is a mental baseline. I know that I can do this. I know that on a wet and miserable January morning I can go for a run. Come Wednesday and the first proper weigh-in of the year, I will know that I can get my weight back under control. Self-belief is incredibly important to achieve successful weightloss. I know it is only 3rd January, but I'm a believer once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment