Thursday 15 May 2014

Wednesday Weigh- In - 14 May

I'm a bit late to write this but the weigh in went ahead yesterday as normal. After the 3lb loss in the previous week, I had great intentions for following up with another highly disciplined week. That all went to pot rather quickly as first I rediscovered my love of toast, and then following an already calorie-heavy curry night with friends, followed up with a couple of frankly unnecessary bottles of cider when I got home.

With exercise still off the agenda, though I'm running out of excuses for why, I approached the scales yesterday morning with a fair amount of trepidation. I anticipated a gain and was very pleasantly surprised at the result.
Consolidation, or luck?
I didn't really deserve that outcome but I'll gladly take it. I don't expect to be quite so fortunate next week as my love affair with toast shows no sign of waning, and I'm writing this tucking into a cake that I was presented with a short while ago by my friend's parents. Lovely cake. Not what the diet ordered mind.

Exercise has become a bit of a mute point. Nearly two months since my half marathon and still my trainers remain untouched. The knee feels fine. I've had no pain from the back for a couple of weeks. I really should have put myself through a little fitness test by now to assess if I've properly healed, but it hasn't quite happened yet. 

Earlier in the week I heard the very sad news that one of my wife's former colleagues had passed away. He was a couple of years younger than me, gone out for a run and suffered a heart attack. You hear stories like that and you just think to yourself how crap life can be sometimes. It briefly caused me to question whether I really want to start running again. This was the second person I've known (albeit not terribly well) who has died stretching their legs in the past few months and while I'm aware that in all probability it would not happen to me, you do start to think about your own mortality and how such a tragic outcome would affect those nearest to you.

But then something else happened. A very brave and courageous young man by the name of Stephen lost his battle with cancer. I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. Something who loved life and maximised the opportunities that were offered to him during his short time on this Earth. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with another young man who didn't live much beyond the age of Stephen. That experience taught me to make the most of life and while I've no intention of putting myself in unnecessary danger, to live life in fear of what might be is no way to live. Otherwise I'd stop driving the car, leaving the house etc.

So at some point in the next 7 days I'm making it my plan to go out for a light jog. Two months off plus a couple of injuries means my fitness levels will have dropped and I've no idea where I'm at. A short and easy run to dust off the cobwebs to break myself back in is the way forward. I will be incredibly annoyed with myself if come the next weigh-in I've got to fess up to not doing so.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment