Sunday 11 May 2014

Lord of the Rings?

5 years, 9 months and 2 days on, today has been the first day since before my wedding that my hand looks like this.

Yes, it is a hand
It is strange to think that I spent just over 28 years without a ring. My hand has felt totally naked and noticeably lighter without one. Now for those wondering why I've dropped the gold, the tale is far less interesting than the single ladies of the world would like it to be. I'm still very much married, and for as long as my other half will have me, that isn't going to change. Instead it is more a question of ring preservation.

Last month I lost it. During a meal with family, I suddenly noticed the ring was no longer on my finger. Moments before my little one had been sick, mostly into my hand. I spent the next few grisly minutes going through the bag containing the contents thinking it may have slipped off during the clean up process. It wasn't there, and a few more frantic moments later it was found in my son's change bag. It must have self-detached whilst I was rummaging shortly before the vomit episode. Reunited with my ring, I vowed to do something about it, to ensure I didn't lose it again. And then did nothing at all.

Yesterday, whilst pushing my eldest on a swing, the ring flew off my finger and into the chip/bark covering of the playground floor. The proverbial searching for a needle in a haystack followed, not particularly aided by two 5 year olds boys who dearly wanted to help but their efforts of kicking the bark only served to disturb the ground, risking covering the ring. Fortunately it caught the sight of another parent before I had to consider acquiring a metal detector. My ring has remained off my finger since to ensure no repeat.

So what has happened to cause jewellery to want to remove itself from my person? Well, it would seem that my weightloss over the past year has resulted in a thinning of my fingers, making the ring a little too loose to wear safely. I was looking a resizing back in January but rather baulked at the quote I was given. Unless I want to start heavy food consumption, it looks like a price worth paying to ensure that I'm not third time unlucky.


No comments:

Post a Comment