Thursday 5 June 2014

Deal of the Day

When I woke up this morning I feared for another long unproductive day. 5.51 was not the time I had set on my alarm to get me up, but the little man decided it was good enough for him. Not the best way to start the day and hardly the ideal way to get me out of my recent slump. However, shortly after waving goodbye to my wife and youngest, I saw something on my phone that caught my attention.

I signed up for a Groupon account a few years back, but have made a grand total of two purchases from them since. Every morning, I go through a daily ritual of deleting their emails, mostly without even bothering to open them, but today there was one that merited a second look. There was a deal offering 10 gym sessions at LA Fitness for £19. Having given up my gym membership last August, and not found a way back into my running gear since March, this offered me a different route back to fitness.

It's a gym on trading estate - glamorous it is not
I double checked to make sure that my local gym was included in the deal and upon confirmation that it was, I signed up. This evening after putting the boys to bed, I 'enjoyed' a 45 minutes cardio session consisting of treadmill, exercise bike and step machine, which I had foolishly mistaken for a cross trainer. It is pretty clear that a few months off have seen my fitness levels drop sharply, but I'm hoping that these 10 workouts will help get me back into an exercise rhythm before I start focusing on training for my next half marathon in October.

As I write this, I feel a little weary. Partly due to the early morning alarm call, partly from making use of muscles that have forgotten what it is like to be used.  Little man permitting, I'll sleep well tonight knowing that I've taken the first steps to arrest my recent slump and can look forward to workout number 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment